VIRTUAL HSCP - An Introduction to Safe Sleep
Date & Time:
The ‘Every Sleep Counts’ programme was developed in response to learning raised in the Hampshire Child K Serious Case Review as well as other partnership and child death reviews related to safe sleep practices.
The multi agency programme highlights the need for every sleep that a baby has to be a safe sleep, whether this is at nap time or evening sleeps, when families are travelling and staying in locations other than their homes - every sleep counts. The programme provides professionals with some practical resources that reinforces safe sleep messages in a variety of scenarios, including the increased risk of co-sleeping with a baby if you have consumed alcohol, taken illicit or prescription drugs. The programme also provides information on the criminal offence of overlaying.
- Understand the importance of safe sleep and what it is.
- Understand why environments may not be a safe place for a baby to sleep.
- Explain the criminal charge of overlaying.
- Understand the risk factors associated with Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
- Understand the importance of a multi-agency approach.
- Support the workforce to deliver the safe sleep message to parents and carers